The Tetons

The Tetons
Why'd I go west? For the Rockies

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Setting Forth



On March 27th 2015 I quit my job as a high school math and science teacher, said goodbye to my family and girlfriend, and left for the American West.  That was easy.  My best friend Mr. Nitrous accompanied me as we drove across the entire Midwest in one day, ending up in the middle of South Dakota Plains on the edge of a beautiful lake.  We would spend the next few days exploring the Badlands, Black Hills, and eastern Wyoming before arriving at our “final” destination of Jackson Hole.
I used the term easy, because that was the part of my trip that required very little gumption.  Quitting is easy.  Leaving is easy. Driving is super easy (especially when done with excellent company and a destination).  But now there is no destination.  Not really.  Now there’s no company to sing bad Miley Cyrus songs with.  There are no responsibilities and there is no plan.  Just a man, a tent, and a desire to explore the Rocky Mountains from New Mexico to Canada (best get my passport).  This will be the story of my adventure – probably not too great, surely written poorly, but always honest.
Today I leave a mansion in Jackson Hole, WY set directly at the base of the middle Hoback.  There’s a hot tub, a sauna, and a bean bag room!  I’m headed to Idaho to see the Tetons from there western side and camp in Targhee National Forest.  From there it’s the Wassatch in Utah and then back east to see Mr. Wang in Denver.   My adventures will not be extreme, but I hope they will be educating and mildly entertaining.  I have no idea what to expect, and not knowing generally brings forth anxiety.   I do know that it is better to be anxious in the midst of giant mounds of rock and endless acres of trees, then to not ever know if your dream was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment